Monday, November 17, 2014

No shame in giving up: Leprechaun 4: In Space (1996)

Im not a connoisseur of film. That is to say I don't save my time for just the creme de la creme of horror films. Or any films for that matter. I'm a film buff. Or film duff if you go by the principle that I will watch anything with no regard to taste. I'll own that. But sometimes the films I do watch do test my patience. That last week I attempted to watch Leprechaun 4. It did not go well and I did not finish it. I consider myself a pretty good critic. And I will admit that though there have been only two or so films I've truly hated, I can recognize that most of the movies I watch are bad. Leprechaun 4 is bad. And I could not finish the whole film.

This has perhaps happened to me a handful of times. I normally have no trouble getting through even the worst of pictures. I make a fun time of it. Due to the recent release of Leprechaun: Origins, I, being a film duff who has only seen the first of the franchise, set out to watch the whole series, eventually finishing with the newest release. I watched 2 with no problem. Very silly. Made no sense and raised some questions in me about the canon of the story. 3 was fine as well. Mixed it up a bit with a Las Vegas setting and I could dig it. Then I got to L4: In Space. What happened? It was drivel. It wasn't a Leprechaun movie. It wasn't a space movie. It was cheap, way too over the top and completely caught me off guard. I'm not sitting here expecting Casa Blanca, I just want a low end horror flick and this film could not decide what it wanted to be. The characters are all completely shallow,  the relationships are forced and contrived and Warwick Davis (the leprechaun) was poorly directed. This isn't hard. These films are as easy as packing a sandwich for lunch. There is a formula, but for some reason,  this is where the series jumped the shark in my opinion. As loose a phrase as that would be in this case, I feel like the deviation here is too sever. It wasn't the setting though as Jason X didn't bother me particularly but maybe it is merely the fact that it is apparent in the case of L4: In Space that nobody cared.

Nobody cared and so I couldn't care.

But more on the philosophical topic of quitting. I pride myself on being able to sit through these despite the fact that no one is going to know or care that I do. Sort of like how completist gamers strive to get 100% completion in their games. Even if its bad and a challenge, I want to finish the film. But in the case of Leprechaun 4, Frogs, Shark Attack 3, Birdemic, Breeders, Death Bed, Xtro, and many others that I don't care to mention and you don't care to know, I think I will let myself off the hook for putting them off a bit longer.

No comments: